Sunday, February 28, 2010

Regrounding Intuition (Alternate Title: Follow The Process!)

One of the things I did to develop Theory D was to write an abstract for Conference In Resort City. In my rush to get out my abstract, I had to rely somewhat on my intuition to come up with several of the sub-categories for my theory. From the recent feedback I received at the workshop in Oldest Varsity, I came to understand that there is more work to be done to develop a Full-Package grounded theory.

And so, I am back to the drawing board, so to speak, and going through my data once again to ensure that all of my categories have a good audit trail to them. In other words, I am having to reground my intuition.

It's good. It's good. Rigorous detailed work it is, but necessary.

I'm 100 per cent sure the data is there and that the sub-categories come from the data. But what I understand now, especially after reading through Perspectives III: Theoretical Coding (Glaser, 2005), is that having well-saturated categories, a good stack of memos, and going through a diligent and creative hand-sorting process of memos with theoretical codes in mind will yield a much more conceptual theory.

The GT process has been well laid-out. I just need to follow it.

I can't wait to do another GT study after this dissertation is done. The next time, I will follow the process to a T . . . or to a GT . . . Bad pun. Never mind.

Note: I know many dissertators who don't put in this much effort (and expense) to perfect their craft. Yet those dissertators tend to become ex-dissertators in good time. Oh, to be an ex-dissertator!

5 comments:

Maurice said...

I am currently working on my proposal in GT. However, my paper has been return a number of times until my chair suggested that I work on the methodology. I htought about changing it to a quantitative approach. I need help!!!

Lonely Dissertator-No-More said...

If you're talking about classic grounded theory, then I suggest you contact one of the fellows at the grounded theory institute, perhaps one of them is near you: http://www.groundedtheoryonline.com

Peggy said...

Every time I read one of your postings I start to feel like I am not working hard enough on my own diss....I am following advice from Sharon D - "you have your whole life to do all kinds of work, just GET THIS DONE and move on...." hope that strategy pays off someday... ;-)

Lonely Dissertator-No-More said...

Peggy: Don't compare. I am an anomaly. I was burnt out on quantitative methods when SD said that to me. I don't regret what I am doing now because the learning is tremendous, albeit incredibly painful. As for SDs advice, without the expectations of a PhD, I am not sure if I would embark on such hard work post-PhD and so I made the choice to take this harder route. But if anyone asks me, I would discourage them from doing what I am doing! Soldier on, sister! Get done!

Anonymous said...

I'm sure your postings are really helping many dissertators, LD. Keep posting.