Sunday, March 21, 2010

Barney Glaser Is...

Barney Glaser is a genius.

If I never knew that before, I know it now.

To me, a genius is not a person completely untouchable by common folk. A genius is simply someone who really stands out from the crowd in terms of ideas and insights. Like the Beatles. We can all sing their songs, and yet they have been hailed as geniuses.

Hey Jude~

So, why exactly is Barney a genius? Because he can cut through the crap. And his methodology cuts through the crap.

I say crap, but I don't mean it as if I am above crap. This crap that I'm talking about is vested social interests that shape and form knowledge, otherwise known as academia.

It's a club. And it is so cleverly done that those who are not in it, gawk with awe at it, give it a good deal of worship, and really have no way of knowing whether it is as valuable as it is perceived. Because academic parlance, if you will, completely masquerades itself through jargons. When you are well-masqueraded enough--like Madonna--a mystique starts to develop around you.

Barney knows that, talked about that, talks about that, and teaches us to see it.

That's all for tonight. I won't elaborate further. If you want to know more, leave a comment.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When Barney gave the simplest example that summarized what GT is all about during our workshop in UPM, I knew he was a genius. But as Edison said "Genius is one percent inspiration and 99 percent perspiration." Mine so far is the reverse ... hehehe.

Lonely Dissertator-No-More said...

PN: You were ill. Don't beat yourself up for not doing more at this stage. You need to stay healthy, k?

Peggy said...

More please...;-)